The Convention & Visitors Bureau sponsored
this sculpture which was done by local artist
Zan Wells. This “bronze suitcase” is located
in front of City Hall, 206 S Main Street,
and is used to display the Visitors Guide
to Greenville S.C. on nights & weekends
for pickup by visitors coming into the city
when the visitors center is closed. Also,
read the placard on the sidewalk that inspired
this sculpture. Another project of the CVB
is the "Thoughts on Main". While
strolling along the sidewalk between the Westin
Poinsett Hotel to McBee Street, read the "words
of wisdom" from various philosophers
which are etched in blocks along the sidewalk.
Don’t forget to watch where you are going
Also done by Wells, this was a school project
idea by a local high school student who wanted
to do something good for the community so
that people would feel they are in a special
place – that has character and individuality.
Based on the popular children’s book Goodnight
Moon, a bronze sculpture of the book and
one mouse are mounted on the fountain in front
of the Hyatt Regency hotel and the other eight
mice are installed along a nine-block stretch
of Main Street between the Hyatt & the Westin
Poinsett hotels. Find them on your own – that’s
part of the appeal! Or, a "hints sheet
is distributed by the Visitors Center (or
(Mouse at corner of Main & Washington
removed due to construction).
A former statesman & Greenville citizen who
helped shape the history of the city. This
bronzed statue was also done by Wells. It
is mounted in the Court Street area at the
site of a historic speech made by Poinsett
on behalf of preserving the Union on July
4, 1851. This location is near one of his
namesakes, the Westin Poinsett Hotel. On one
of his travels to Mexico, he brought back
some of the red plants blooming there and
this plant is known as the Poinsettia plant.
joe jackson statue
Joe Jackson began his baseball career in Greenville
and went on to play for the Chicago White
Sox. A local sculptor, Doug Young, molded
this statue of Joe at bat in the lobby of
the City Hall building. Supporters were able
to watch the statue being created and to actually
take part in the process by kneading the clay
that the artist used. This life-size statue
is mounted in the historic West End area at
the south end of Main and Augusta Streets
in what has been named Shoeless Joe Jackson
Plaza. Bricks from the old Comisky Park were
used in the base . Also, the location of the
park & grave sites are under "Shoeless"
Joe Jackson Park (#20 listed below).
carriage & gondola
Carriage Rides: Three carriage companies offer tours of downtown and the West End. Rides depart from the Westin Poinsett, the Camperdown entrance to Falls Park, and the intersection of Main and Coffee Streets. Typically the services operate on Friday and Saturday evenings, weather permitting. For more information, contact:
Whispering Winds Carriages: 864-220-3650
Horse Drawn Carriages: 864-369-1411
Cooper Farm Carriage Service: 864-876-2670
The Sculptor for this project was T.J. Dixon
of San Diego. The location is at Court Square
on E. Court Street. McBee was a builder considered
by historians to be the "Father of Greenville".
He constructed 100 buildings in Greenville
County and built a textile mill along the
Reedy River. He gave land to four downtown
churches, all of which gave $5,000 toward
cost of the statue.
8 Bennett Street
The Beattie house was built in the 1830’s
by Fountain Fox Beattie. The two wings of
the Italiante Gothic-style house were added
as the family grew in size. The house has
been moved twice and is occupied by the Greenville
Woman’s Club. Open to the public by appointment
– 233-9977. Free admission.
409 E. North Street
Center is the Upstate’s premier sports and
entertainment arena. This arena was named
after the grocery chain after a contract was
signed with them. It is the home for Greenville’s
ice hockey team, The Greenville Grrrowl, the
professional indoor football team, the Carolina
Rhinos; and the National Basketball Development
League, the Greenville Groove. This complex
seats from 2,500 to 16,000. www.bilocenter.com
museum & art gallery
1700 Wade Hampton Boulevard on the campus
of Bob Jones University
The Museum & Gallery is one of America’s finest collections of Italian paintings, featuring 30 galleries displaying
European sacred art from the XIII through
the XIX centuries. Open Tues.-Sun. 2-5 p.m.,
except Dec. 20-25, Jan. 1, July 4, and Commencement
Day in early May. Admission. Children must
be 6 yrs. or older. www.bju.edu/artgallery/
christ episcopal church
10 North Church Street
organized in 1820 by summer residents from
the Charleston area, was the first church
of any denomination formed in the village
of Greenville. The original sanctuary on this
site was located in the area of the circular
fountain and flowerbed. The cornerstone of
the present structure was laid in 1852. The
church is designed in a modified Gothic style
with a cruciform shape. The spire rises 130
feet. The church’s cemetery is the final resting-place
for some notable leaders including a former
governor, Benjamin Franklin Perry, and Vardry
McBee, “The Father of Greenville.” In 1820,
McBee gave land for this church and for the
Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist churches.
His son, William Pinckney McBee, gave land
for the Catholic Church.
and james street
Earle and James Streets
home at 310 West Earle Street, Whitehall,
is the oldest house still standing in Greenville.
It was built in 1813 as a summer home by Charlestonian
Henry Middleton who had purchased the land
from Elias Earle. Middleton’s home in the
low country was Middleton Plantation. It is
an example of the Barbadian style of architecture
which takes advantage of summer breezes. It
is a private residence occupied by a descendant
of Elias Earle. The marker in front of the
house gives its history.
at 107 James Street is one of the oldest homes
in Greenville with dates varying from 1810
– 1826. There are no records available to
establish the actual date of construction.
cultural exchange center
700 Arlington Avenue
Contains a treasure-trove of history about
Greenville’s black leaders – photos of the
city’s first black policeman, first black
librarian, first black school superintendent
and memorabilia of the Rev. Jesse Jackson
Jr. Open 10 am to 5 pm Tuesday through Saturday. 232-9162. Click here for more information.
Washington Street in Cleveland Park
Enjoy the park facilities as well as see
the wildlife from around the world, which
is displayed in natural open-air exhibits.
Open daily 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m., except Thanksgiving,
Christmas and New Year’s Day. Admission. 467-3000.
Hampton and Pinckney Streets
called “old money”, was owned by Vardry McBee.
Many of his children built their homes here.
The oldest house at 21 Pinckney was built
by William Pinckney McBee, Vardry’s son, in
the 1830’s. Most of the houses in this area
date from the turn of the century and represent
Victorian-style architecture. There are also
some bungalow-style homes in the area.
was owned by Vardry McBee. He gave it to the
Male and Female Academies in the 1820’s so
there would be schools in Greenville. In 1855
the land and building were occupied by the
Greenville Baptist Female College, which became
the Woman’s College of Furman University in
When the Woman’s College moved to the new
Furman Campus north of the city, Furman planned
to sell the land. When the original deed was
checked, however, Furman found that the land
had to be used for cultural or educational
purposes or it would revert to the McBee family.
As a result of Vardry’s farsightedness, we
now have Heritage Green. Located at this site
are the Greenville County Library,
the Greenville Little Theatre, and
the Greenville County Art Museum,
which houses the finest collection of Andrew
Wyeth’s watercolors in the world. The art
museum is open Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and
Sun. 1-5 p.m. Free admission. Future
development at this site includes the Greenville
History Museum and ImagiNation, the Children’s
mill and mill office
W. Broad Street
County’s textile industry began in 1820; however,
mills were not built in the city of Greenville
until the 1870’s. The Huguenot Mill was built
in 1882 and advertised itself as an electric
plant that made plaid cloth. Even though it
was located along the Reedy River, it was
a coal-fired plant. This building is a classic
example of adaptive reuse. Inside this building,
along with some business offices, is a pictorial
display depicting the history of textiles
in the area. The small separate building was
the office for the mill.
Intersection of Court and Spring Streets
Built between 1899 and 1900, this two-story
brick cruciform structure represents a local
version of the Gothic Revival style in church
architecture. It began officially in 1866,
but the Reverend J. R. Rosemond, a “Slave
Preacher” and himself a slave, was preaching
before the War Between the States. He started
not only this church but also 17 others in
Greenville County and over 40 churches in
the Upstate area of South Carolina.
E. Court Street
Formerly the American Cigar Factory and
Stone Manufacturing, this building was originally
built around the turn of the century to diversify
560 Academy Street
This historic house, the home of the Greenville
Council of Gardens Clubs, is used for meetings,
weddings and receptions. It is an example
of the homes of the elite during the 1830’s
and was moved to this site in the 1970’s.
One of the original springs that provided
a water supply for Greenville is located here.
In the lower garden area behind the spring
is a sensory garden designed for the blind.
The house is open to the public Mon-Fri from
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Admission. 232-3020.
site of The Westin Poinsett Greenville Hotel
120 S. Main Street @ W. Court Street
In the early 1800’s Greenville became
a summer resort, used primarily by the people
from the Lowcountry to escape the heat, humidity
and the “miasma” which plagued the coastal
swamps and was thought to cause malaria. Summer
residents were important to Greenville by
helping to settle it down and by bringing
with them their ideas, their customs and their
The Poinsett Hotel, named
for famous South Carolinian Joel Roberts Poinsett
who introduced the Poinsettia plant to this
area from his travels in Mexico, was built
in the 1920’s on the site of the Mansion House
and is L-shaped because it too was built around
the corner of the Town Square. This hotel
was THE hotel in the Upcountry for
many years. People would travel miles out
of their way to stay there. When guests paid
their bills, they received scrubbed coins
and ironed paper money as change.
After completion of a $20
million restoration, The Westin Poinsett Greenville
hotel is now located at this site and has
reclaimed its position at the center of Greenville’s
business, social and community life.
across Main Street from the hotel is the former
Carpenter Bros. Drugstore, which was operated
by the same family since 1883. The owners
are now retired and the drugstore has been
closed. The present owners have retained a
lot of the former charm and memorabilia.
of confederate history
The Museum is owned and operated by the
16th S. C. Volunteers, Sons of
Confederate Veterans, Camp #36, in memory
of the 250,000 Confederate Soldiers killed
during the War and in honor of all of the
Confederate Soldiers who answered the call
to duty. It features a collection of artifacts
and memorabilia. Open Wed 10am-3pm;Fri. 5-9
p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Now Court Square
Main Street between East and West Court Streets
The original Town Square for a settlement
was begun by Lemuel Alston in the late 1780’s.
Alston had purchased 11,000+ acres of land
and laid out a plan for a settlement that
he called Pleasantburg. Almost from the beginning,
people called it Greenville and historians
have searched for the reason for this name
for years. Historians now feel that it was
named after the Revolutionary War hero, Nathaniel
Greene. Greenville was on the trade routes
between the mountains and the coast. If you
can picture western movies when the cowboys
rode into town on a Saturday night, you can
picture early Greenville.
center for the
Corner of Broad and Main
Peace Center opened in 1990 and gets its name
from the Peace family who made a substantial
contribution to the facility. Included in
this complex are the Peace Concert Hall which
seats 2,111, the Dorothy Gunter Theater with
seats 402 and the amphitheater along the Reedy
River, which seats 1,500.
facilities for both the theatres were part
of the historic industrial complex. The Gunter
Theatre is the smaller theatre and backs up
to a 1920’s building; the Peace Center Concert
Hall leads into the Huguenot Mill. Between
the two theatres is the old coach factory
building, built mid-1800’s, that made wagons
and carriages. Their entire inventory was
shipped out for use during the Civil War.
It now houses a restaurant and a cabaret theatre
in what was the blacksmith shop of the coach
factory. On site also is an open pavilion,
which was the paint shop of the coach factory.
It later became the manufacturing home of
Duke’s Mayonnaise. www.peacecenter.org
Washington, Williams, Pettigru, Broadus Streets
was owned by James Pettigru Boyce, a professor
at Furman University’s Baptist Seminary. He
was the son of the second wealthiest cotton
planter in South Carolina. Lots began to be
sold in this area around the turn of the century,
and the area became known as “new Money” because
industrialists coming into Greenville built
their homes here. Located at 104 Broadus
is a Victorian style home from the late 1890’s.
This was the first home of Lewis W. Parker.
The outstanding edifice on the corner of Williams
and Washington was built around 1900 by Lewis
W. Parker as his second home. It is representative
of the home of early twentieth century industrial
leaders of Greenville. Parker gained considerable
fame for his expertise in re-organizing cotton
mills and, eventually, owned the Lewis W.
Parker Cotton Mill Company. This building
is now the home of the Poinsett Club.
falls park on the reedy
Upper and Lower Falls of the Reedy River –
Located behind Falls Cottage
is owned by the city of Greenville and is
called the "Cradle of Greenville"
since this is the area where Greenville was
first settled. In 1758, Richard Pearis, a
trader from Virginia, came into Cherokee Nation
land to trade with the Indians. In 1768 Pearis
and his family moved to the area that was
known as the Great Plains of South Carolina.
Today this area is the Reedy River Falls area
in what is now downtown Greenville. Some historians
believe this name came about due to the growth
of the reeds along the banks of the river.
Along the river Pearis built a trading post,
a saw mill and, near the falls, a gristmill.
Other than the Indians, Pearis became the
first land owner through his son George whose
mother was Pearis’s Cherokee sidewife.
Soon after the British accepted this transfer
of land, Richard Pearis became a Tory. During
the American Revolution the Patriots destroyed
In 1786 an ordinance established
a new County named Greeneville County. Since
there was an extra "e" in Greenville,
it is believed that this County was named
for Nathanael Greene, who was George Washington’s
Southern commander during the Revolutionary
The power generated by the
waterfalls continued to encourage the building
of factories and mills. In the park area,
there are markers depicting some of the history
that developed in this area.
Here, too, was the Arboretum
of Furman University. Old steps can be seen
leading into the park from the former Furman
campus which is now County Square and the
S.C. Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities,
a nine-month residential school dedicated
to arts education for high school juniors.
Today, Falls Park on the Reedy is the home to Reedy River Falls, one of the great downtown waterfalls in the nation! This beautiful riverside park features a spectacular world-class pedestrian bridge that spans 380 feet across the falls, a beautiful public garden and two amphitheaters for gatherings and events. Visitors are invited to stroll the scenic trails, enjoy seasonal flowers, attend outdoor performances and picnic along the river.
Located in Historic West Greenville’s Brandon
Mill – Bryant Street off Pendleton Street
Greenville incorporated as a township in 1925
and became the central core for the great
textile industrial boom of the early 1900s.
The industrial cotton mills were chiefly responsible
for the South’s recovery from the Civil War.
Collectively, the mills brought the American
working class together in what evolved into
a baseball era. Mill workers by the thousands
once swarmed out of drudgery, when the whistles
blew on Saturday afternoons, to their village
ballparks to enjoy the thrill of America’s
favorite past time – BASEBALL. Textile baseball
produced the baseball legend – Shoeless Joe
Jackson. The Recreation District built a park
in his honor at the original site where he
played ball. His grave is located at Woodlawn
Memorial Gardens on Wade Hampton Blvd.
Between Church Street and Main Street
Cemetery began as a family burial ground for
the Waddy Thompson family. Waddy’s mother-in-law
lived with him and had beautiful formal gardens
behind the house. She so loved her gardens
that she wished to be buried there. When the
family moved from the site, this became a
public cemetery. Also mounted at this site
is the Confederate Monument, honoring veterans
who served during the Civil War.
Just past this monument at the intersection
of Main and Academy Streets is the War
Museum, 430 N. Main Street, in the American
Legion building. Displays include actual war
artifacts from the following eras: The Revolutionary
War, The American Civil War, The Spanish/American
War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, The Persian
Gulf. Open to the public – Sat. 10am – 5pm,
Sun 1 – 5pm. Private tours can be scheduled.
Free admission. 271-2000.
west end historic area and
South end of Main Street
at Augusta Street
In the 1890’s
this area was called Greenville’s second downtown.
This district was full of life and was a place
where the people of the city could get their
daily necessities. In 1994 the City of Greenville
meticulously renovated the Alliance Cotton
Warehouse into The WestEnd Market, 1 Augusta
Street, which contains shops and restaurants.